Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Camp is on the horizon!


We definitely have some characters in
4th and 5th grade!
              Feliz Dia de Boqueron! Tomorrow is a national holiday to celebrate a great battle of Paraguay and we have the day off school! It is nice getting additional holidays to celebrate! This week has certainly been a whirlwind! The 1st quarter ended on Friday (wow how the time flies!), so our grades will be due this week! I find it hard to believe that I have been teaching these students for over nine weeks! Thankfully I have kept up with my grades and don’t have too much extra work.  Still next week is elementary camp! For one whole week the school and teachers work to provide a Christian camp experience to our students! This includes staying at a camp overnight, devotions, Bible studies, games, guest speakers, and all of the wonderful memories and experiences that it will bring! These students look forward to camp all year long, and we try to do the best we can planning and preparing for this time! We have definitely spent a lot of time and work planning for this time and would greatly appreciate your prayers!

Firsts:

We dissected flowers to look at the
different parts of the flowers during a
lab last week!

o First time being a regular at a meat counter! Oh yes, it is official, after two weeks of walking up to the chicken section of the meat counter and having my favorite attendee start preparing my order of two chicken breasts (the safest and healthiest chicken choice!), I believe that I am a certified regular!



o First time being to a Mexican restaurant in Paraguay. And it is officially my favorite Mexican Restaurant! It was incredible and the first time I have ever had fajitas with beef, chicken, and shrimp!


o First time having my apartment fumigated. A rough road, but hopefully for the better in the end. The chemicals that many of the companies use here are banned from the States. But thankfully the school chose a good choice with a non-toxic paste.
Last Wednesday was the highschool math
teacher's 60th birthday! So we dressed up like
her to welcome in this happy day or dressed
a little older too!

Prayer Requests:
- Please pray the elementary camp this next week! It will be a long and wonderful week. I can't wait to interact with my students in a different way and hope to give them as much of the joy and memories that I received from going to a Christian church camp.
- Please also pray for the opportunities that can arise to talk with the students during this time!
- Please pray for our continued protection and health. The exterminators also found lice on the balconies of our apartment, but hopefully the spraying of the paste has killed them as well!


- Please also pray for the people of Paraguay as some of the rebel groups have been acting out more in the last few weeks.
We worked with mushrooms and studied the
spores that they produce to reproduce!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Courtney! You sound like you are doing an awesome job coming up with creative ideas for your class. And I know that with all your camp counseling experience you will make the camp a great time for your kids. I'm praying for you and I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am teaching my 3rd/4th graders about the parts of a flower this week!! Can you send me details about dissecting the flower? Thanks! So glad to hear things are going well in Paraguay :)

    ReplyDelete