Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Night of Firsts!

1. First time going to an Emergency Room in a third world country

2. First time getting an X-ray (in any country)
3. First time being rolled around in a wheel chair and needing it
4. First time having to find and use crutches (I did find a pair that was just big enough)

Initiating Event: On Sunday, I was playing volleyball and after jumping up for a block I came down on a friend’s foot. I heard “pop”, almost blacked out a few times, and still have a nicely swollen, black and blue ankle. Thankfully nothing is broken, and today I had an appointment with a traumatologo who thinks I just damaged my ligaments badly. Therefore I have and will continue to be off of my foot for several days as I wait for it to heal.

This event has certainly put a check on my dependence on God, as Elementary Camp (which I am the director of) and my next master’s class start on Monday. Furthermore, I was going to run my first 5K this Sunday and have been training for it. Yet, that obviously does not appear to be plausible. Still praise the Lord for His protection in keeping this a more minor injury.


Prayer Requests:
- For patience and healing in my ankle and the strength to do my best at camp and during my master’s class.
- For safety for all of our students and teachers during camp next week!
- For wisdom in action and what is said during camp to work to best shine God’s light to these students!


Other Firsts:
5. First time ordering a pizza with ham on only half of the pizza and ending up with a doggy bag of ham for my pet duck?!?! The funny thing is the Spanish speakers with me have no idea how our waiter came to this assumption and reassured me that I had said everything right. Of course I still believe that my confidence in my Spanish was a little bruised with this humorous event. Unfortunately I cannot have a pet duck as it is against school policy for the apartments :( , but I do have a rubber ducky, unfortunately he doesn't eat meat.

6. First time helping to nurse a little baby bird back to life! Little MoMo (short for Moses (since it was drawn up from the floor of the front of our apartment building) is now being raised by several caring new mothers. In some small way I feel a special connection as we recuperate together.

No comments:

Post a Comment