Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Crazy, Packed-Full, Busy, Challenging, Exciting Three Weeks!

Where to begin….. Over the past two weeks I have worn many hats and my head still seems to be spinning!


Camp Moto: God first, Others Second,
I'm third
Director’s Hat: I started out with being a camp director for our elementary overnight week camp in the countryside of Paraguay. It was beautiful and our time was wonderful! From chapels and games to meals, free time, and pool, we worked on putting GOD FIRST, OTHERS SECOND, and I’M THIRD. The students learned and grew so much! It was such a blessing to watch and help these students have such a wonderful Christian overnight camp experience. During the camp I was also wore the hats of:

- Nurse and Lifeguard: I was the camp’s “nurse” and lifeguard. Praise the Lord, most injuries were minor and treated easily.

Wet Clothes Relay!


Fun at Camp!
- Referee: There of course were a lot of wonderful games (including water balloon volleyball, guess the teacher, wet clothes relay (adult clothes had to be put on over their suits (one of my favorites)), find the counselor (we were hiding around the camp at night (I hide in a dry storm drain : )), etc.

- Marshmallow cooking instructor: Most of the kids 1st or second time cooking a marshmallow!
Camp: Water Balloon Volleyball!

- Team Leader: Sadly red team didn’t win this time. But we sure had fun!

Scholar’s Hat: Then I switched to my master’s class, which had started the same night as our elementary camp. So I had 3 days to catch up on. It was good 2 week class and I really enjoyed learning more about data, analysis, etc. as it applies to the classroom and school. I am still not done with all of the course work, but hope to finish up soon! One of my big class projects is actually really helping with my responsibilities as my accreditation committee leader for Health, Safety, and Nutrition.

Water Balloon Launch!
Teacher’s Hat: Of course all the while I was also teaching both my students and my student teacher. We have had a lot of fun with plenty of projects! Look through the link for the pictures to see some of them!

the Human Knot (A classic :)
Safety Supervisor’s Hat (Accreditation committee leader): Drills, drills, and more drills : ). We are finally finished with our 4 drills for this semester. Needless to say this is 4 times as many as we had for the whole last year combined. So we have had a long way to go. Still things are looking good. Another 5+ more next semester and we should be meeting the requirements! Plus the awareness and attitude of the students is becoming far more serious about the drill, which is also a benefit.


Sugar Cookies with Art Club

Cook’s Hat: From lunches and outreaches at my church, to planning for thanksgiving, to making sugar cookies in Art Club, I was also been busy with cooking and preparing.

Genetic Family Tree Project
Construction Hat: We have a new roof on our apartment building! While it was being removed much of the old roof came through the holes in our ceiling (tar, concrete, tiles, etc.) and landed in our apartment. Thankfully after the first day, my roomate and I learned to tar/tile proof our rooms. We did have some laughs seeing the sky through our ceiling and even some stars at night as we went to bed. Though praise the Lord it has now rained three times since the new roof and no water has come in! This is the first time it has not flooded when it rained since I have been in Paraguay!

Crime Scene Investigators with
matching DNA of samples to suspects!
(really it was bar codes, but we had fun)
Impatient Patient’s Hat: My ankle is still struggling : (. But hopefully in another week, I might start to be able to do some exercise on it. This would make it 5 weeks since the accident. Thanks for your prayers as it is healing slowly. I was able/for my own safety went off the crutches after 1.5 weeks, which was in the middle of camp and pretty dangerous to use crutches at the campsite. While I am still wrapping, icing, and using a brace, soon I hope to be able to use it more!

Sugar Cookie madness!
So I guess this is a brief :) overview of the last few weeks, I promise more will follow. We are rushing ahead to the end of the semester with only 13 more days of school left! We will be having a nice little thanksgiving vacation and then the end of the semester and summer vacation! It is hard to believe that I will be back in the states in 24 days! I hope to see as many of you as possible!

The Crime, one stolen backpack,
the task, match the DNA.
Well things are still crazy so I do need to end now, and get back to work!

Firsts:

Intense investigators
- First time not having my apartment roof leak when it rained since I got here! (we got a new roof!) Also first time during a re-roofing project where so much of the roof came through the holes in our ceiling!
- First time having master’s class start the same day as our overnight camp
- First time being a camp director
- First time going to a Field Hockey game in Paraguay ( I went to watch one of my fellow teachers compete!)
- First time making sugar cookies with my art club!
Virtual Cell Field Trip

Prayer Requests:
- For a smooth ending to the year
- To bless the ministries in Paraguay
Picture Day :)
- For speed and accuracy with all the work I need to accomplish.

Learning about echolocation!

No comments:

Post a Comment