Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Heroes in Our Lives!

          Today is officially, “el Día de los Heroes” (the day of the Heroes)! With this special day comes a day off school too! My day started off with the wonderful pleasure of turning off my 5:30am alarm! Unfortunately I only got to sleep less than a half an hour, as our friendly neighbors across the trash creek behind our apartments started the party (which to them is most days) at 6:00am very loudly! While two possible plans of action came to mind

1. Go to my classroom and curl up on the floor… or…
2. Could a paintball marker take out a boom box from 30 yards?
I chose to do neither of the two options, but was up and filling my day with school work, relaxing, and time with friends! The Lord is truly good!


         On a holiday celebrating heroes, it makes one think through the heroes in their own life. For the last few weeks I have been studying great heroes of the Bible with my 5th grade class. The Bible truly is filled with so many wonderful examples, that we should strive to follow (from Ruth, to Hannah, to Samuel and so on). I have also been blessed with Heroes in my own life. For starts, what incredible parents I have been blessed with! And I am also very partial to the best twin brother in the world! Not only are my family members my heroes, but I can see other heroes in my life in the little things. There are so many people that go above and beyond for the Lord! Even this last chapel (as I mentioned in my last post), I shared the story of Jim Elliot and his family. “He is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose!” What an incredible and powerful story! As well, the incredible strength and amount of forgiveness and love shown by his family after his murder is definitely heroic. I have been blessed with several more questions about this story! And then there are my heroes back home, through the small acts that mean so much. In the your encouragement, your prayers, and your support! Thank you! And happy day of the Heroes!

Prayer Requests:
- While we are incredibly grateful for the rain we have had for the past weeks and all of its benefits for the Chaco, please pray for the dangers that the rain can cause with the flooding and more.
- As always, please pray for the students, teachers, and parents.
Courtney picked a peck of purple peppers....
- Praise! I thank the Lord for a friend who will be bringing me back a new camera from the states! My camera was accidentally dropped by a student 1.5 weeks ago and is permanently broken. Hence the lack of new pictures with this posting. The blessing is that this friend was going back to the states for a little over a week and I was able to buy a camera on Amazon and have it shipped to her while she is there! Lithium batteries cannot be shipped so this is wonderful!

Firsts:
- First time seeing and buying Purple Peppers!!!! Truly they are naturally purple! They smell and taste more like the green peppers than the red or yellow.

- First time celebrating el Día de los Heroes!



No comments:

Post a Comment