Tuesday, February 22, 2011

INITIATIVE!


We were studying Thermal energy and
made posters for people moving to Russia
(our mission's week country)
to know what they should wear, live in, etc.

        Initiative. A big word for elementary students, but it can be incredibly powerful. Initiative is our word of the month to focus on and the topic of our weekly chapels. We have discussed initiative through bible stories, games and many other activities. It has been wonderful to watch our students strive to reach out to new students, quickly offer to help and go above and beyond in other ways! They truly seem to be taking this challenge to heart, and I pray that they continue to strive to have initiative for Christ.




Burning the paper experiment!

        Conductivity and the miracles and beauty of God’s world around us has been a topic for us for the last week! We had a blast showing how a piece of paper held flat over a candle will burn a hole in the paper. But a coin on the paper in the middle, held over the candle doesn’t even get the paper very warm as the thermal energy is pulled to the coin! God truly has planned this world down to the last detail and it is incredible! Go ahead try the experiment (Carefully!!!)

Prayer Requests:

- Please pray that students will continue to be challenge to have initiative for Christ.
- Please pray for the chapel this week as I will be the one to share and I hoping that the story of Jim Elliot will reach deep into their heart and motivate to further serve the Lord. (For, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose.” – Jim Elliot)
- For my new students that are still working to fit in and catch up with all of their work and academics.
Insulators in houses is a novelty here for many of my students!
So before the made this Russia Poster, be had to do some exploring!
P.S. They think snow days are crazy and that we should get hot days when it goes
 over 100 with humidity close to 110+!

Firsts:
- First time almost getting knocked off a moving bus! On these buses you need to quickly jump on and they often immediately start driving away as you work to pay and move further onto the bus. Well after our regular shopping trip on Saturday morning, it was especially hot and with all of our groceries we decided to take a bus the 10 blocks instead of walking it. As we hailed the bus to stop, we quickly jumped on and it began to drive away. My friend jumped on the bus before me and was working to pay and get her change. As she received her change she turned to get through the turning bars to enter the bus. As she did, one of her largest bag full of fruit slapped me in the face and almost knocked me off the moving bus! Thankfully I had balanced my bags and was able to hold on and pull myself back on to the bus!
Practicing Mean, Median, and Mode
with Miss Weber's mini decks of cards!


- First time not having to pay for the bus ride. On this same bus ride as above… (which I was the only one aware of nearly being pushed off the bus) I had just pulled myself fully onto the bus again and proceeded to try to pay the bus driver with the money squeezed into an imprint in my hand. Yet he would not take it. Instead he gave me the ticket and refused to take my money! As I was still rather flustered from the previous encounter, I continued to try to give him my money, but all he did was give me a thumbs up and a smile (minus a tooth or two). It was a little hard to believe that as hot and sweaty as I was that my looks still earned me a free ride… but such as it can be in Paraguay.

No comments:

Post a Comment