Tuesday, February 8, 2011

2nd Post of the Year!!!!!! (Don't forget to check out the one from last Week too!)

          I cannot believe that an entire week has passed. It has been such a blessing to be back with my students. We have also learned and done so many things this week! The first few days we spent working on community building and classroom development. We read stories, discussed teasing and other challenges, and participated in team building activities that caused us to work together. I also have been reading the book the 5 Love Languages for Children and giving them a small survey to help confirm my beliefs of the student’s love language. I have colored coded the students name tag to help remind to show more love to these students in their main love language. Furthermore during the team building exercises the students wrote three positive comments on each of the other students, which I have written on their name tags. The Lord has blessed our class so much through these exercises and I am already seeing great improvements in the environment and interaction of the students.


           On Friday we had STEELER DAY!!!!! It was great, as I shared part of where I am from and teach educational topics through it. We started with learning about being a Christian competitor for Bible as we discussed personal experiences, why a Christian athlete should be different, positive examples (Troy Polamalu), and how we should aspire to compete like a Christ would. In math, we worked on fast addition as the students practiced quickly keeping score, as well as ratios (how they work and why we use them), and turning ratios into fractions, then decimals, and finally percents. Science we looked at how Newton’s laws apply to football as well as the formation of steel and the refining process! I was an incredible day. While the Steelers did not win, it did present a great opportunity to teach how to be a good loser. Besides, Steelers still have the best Super bowl record!!!!!!


Prayer Requests:
- Tomorrow I will be starting a VBS camp with my church, it will definitely be a fun learning experience as I am in charge of crafts! Please pray that we will have a good turnout for the children, that things will run smoothly, and most importantly that this will be an incredible evangelical opportunity.
- For the weeks ahead, that the students will grow closer together and that the new students will feel more and more welcomed.



Firsts:
- First time having an all day Steelers celebration with my international classroom!

- First time preparing for a VBS in Paraguay!!! ( I have assisted with other international VBS camps, but each one is so different and great in its own way!)

No comments:

Post a Comment