Sunday, July 25, 2010

One week down!

        I have officially lived in Paraguay for over a week and have already experienced so many things. I have been very busy setting up my classroom and working on lesson plans, but things are really coming together. I am constantly reminded that with God all things are possible and I truly need Him during this time in my life. With all of the new firsts, changes, and challenges ahead it will certainly be easy to get caught up in all of the negatives, homesickness, and trying to do things on my own. Thankfully I have a great support team both here and in the states to help me through.
        The first day of school has been pushed back due to the cold weather. This was mandated for all public schools by the government and highly suggested for private school. As I mentioned earlier the cold weather is usually no colder than the 40s but with the poor insulation and rarity of this temperature the country is less prepared for the cold. This is a blessing as it gives us more time to prepare and set up the classroom. Which as a new teacher is a wonderful blessing!

Firsts:
- First time that my food was weighed to determine the cost at a buffet restaurant. A leadership family took me out to eat on our first day and I preceded hand over my plate to find the number of kilos I would be paying for! This is very common here.

- First time I bought this big of a yellow pepper! Three of them cost me about 50 cents!
- First time playing Scattergories with a South African who for the letter O was the only one of 8 (the rest being US citizens) who wrote done a president and got a point. Her answer Obama. The rest will never live that down!
- First time that I unconsciously stated to everyone around that I was single and looking for a husband, by putting my purse on the floor at church. Apparently this is an old tradition to show you are available. Thankfully I picked it up of the floor before any proposals began to come, and it remained on my shoulder for the rest of the service.
- First Week completed in PARAGUAY!

Prayer Request:
As far as prayer requests go, please continue to prayer for the away requests. As always thank you so much for these prayers!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment