Thursday, February 3, 2011

Welcome Back!!!

      I can’t believe that I am writing this as the first blog back from summer vacation! So much has happened that I truly don’t know if I will be able to remember to tell all of the highlights. Our semester ended incredibly well with our Amusement Park. We had about 2 dozen parents show, along with board members, or directors, and the other elementary classes. The students did such a wonderful job and we so proud to show off all of the work that they did and learned! As you can see from some of these pictures it was certainly memorable and special.

      Yesterday was the first day of school for our second semester! I can’t believe we are already starting into our second semester! Time has truly flown so fast. My time at home was a wonderful break, time with family and friends. It was strange just jumping back into my life in the states, and just as strange jumping back here to Paraguay. My flights on the way back were also unique, and definitely created some firsts which you can see below!
     My students are back with the beginning of school, and it is so great to see them! We had a wonderful first two days and are trying to adjust to our new schedule. We have both a longer school day and more specials for our students (15 total) than the US standard schools so it always makes things a little different. Tomorrow we are having a wonderful day….it is officially Steelers’ Day!!!! I am incorporating Steelers into Bible (being a Christian competitor, looking for good Christian role models (famous Steelers making good choices),etc.), math (probability, ratios, and taking ratios, turning them into fractions, decimals, and percentages), and science (Newton’s laws as they apply to football, the formation and creation of steel and how that industry formed Pittsburgh and got our name, etc.).



Firsts:
- First time stuck in an airport for two days! Due to the massive amount of snow in Newark airport I was stuck there for a full two day before I was finally rerouted. It was especially a first in waiting in line for 17 hours straight to get a change of my flights.

- First time being told by a student that they will be absent for the first week, on the first day of school by a facebook message! We are not “friends” but still I got the message in the middle of the first day of school.
- First time extinguishing a fire in a friend’s apartment from a less than stellar air conditioner. Definitely a back-up job in the making! Courtney Weber: Firefighter- Please pray for this new semester, that we will be better able to shine God’s light to our students as we educate them as best we can.

 
Prayer Requests:
- For the teachers, old and new, that they will be able to be prepared and rested for this new semester.
- Any new students that are in the interview process or are yet to apply (I have one new student in fifth grade so far who had attended this school two years ago).


No comments:

Post a Comment