Sunday, August 8, 2010

Officially the First Week of School Completed and I finished in my Third Week in Paraguay!

        Three weeks completed! Time has flown, I cannot believe that I have already been in the country for this long. I love my classes and my students! They are all precious and wonderful students. I have been faced with different challenges as I my students not only have a wide range of academic abilities, but also a wide range of English comprehension that does not mirror their academic level. Still we had a wonderful week and both the students and I were quick at learning and adjusting to each other and our new environment. We have had wonderful science experiments, math games, and Bible activities already. You can see these in the pictures shown here!
Firsts:

- FIRST FULL WEEK OF SCHOOL!

- First time ordering Pizza from Pizza Hut in Paraguay! We had an apartment game night, and the pizza was cheaper and pretty good in comparison. Though I must admit I stuck with the safer choice of pepperoni and not the interesting choices with peculiar meats and flavoring.
- First time getting a Paraguay taxi! (Not as scary as you might think)
- First time buying cereal! I finally found a cereal that was not pure sugar and not $10+ a box. I love honey nut cheerios (or Honey Nutos) for a great price of $1.50 a box.
     o Other great finds:
           Worchester Sauce
           Skim Milk
           Beef (that I actually think I know what cut of meat it is near and dared to buy other than chicken or a well ground beef)
- First time making empanadas! They were great and are a very traditional dish here in Paraguay! The type that I made were with a spiced ground beef, onion, olives, raisins, and a slice of hard boiled egg. I will have to bring the recipe back for you all to try!
- First gift from one my new students (a pretty painting)
- First note from my one student who is new to the school! (It truly made my week and reads as the following:

Dear Miss Weber:

         Thank you for all the help (Because I realy need)
You are so good tiching and you are beautiful and the best teacher I ever had. God give (I think she meant gave) you a helpful hart and helpful person. You are pacient to. And you have so many ideas fun.

                                         Love (her name)

Prayer Request:
- Please pray for my students, their safety, that I will be able to show God's love and light to them in new ways every day, and that I can reach them academically in the best way possible!
- Please pray for wisdom for me when communicating with my students, their parents, and with other teachers. I have been blessed to begin building wonderful relationships with them!
- Please pray for the school and the country as they are both going through new changes.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are off to a great start! I saw your mom in the store the other day, and she told me about your blog. I am going to follow you, and try to keep up with your exciting adventure. If there is ever anything you might need educationally, let me know. I have great internet resources tagged, ready to go too!
    You are in our prayers, and we are enjoying reading about your adventures!
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girl! I'm so glad you are doing so well! I love reading about your adventures! :-)

    So today in my class back here in lovely AZ I mentioned that I had a friend who taught in Paraguay because we were learning about maps. Next thing I know, one of my kids asks if we can write to you and your kids! Seeing as how one of our standards here is writing a friendly letter I thought that would fit perfectly! I was wondering if you wanted to be class pen pals! :-) I told my kids I would check and let them know. I'm hoping you say yes, because I think that would be awesome! And my kids would totally love it (plus I would be teaching a standard at the same time! Bonus!). Let me know what you think! Go ahead and use my gmail e-mail or facebook. I can't wait to hear from you chica! :-)

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete